Your Nav Bar Here

Monday, June 18, 2012

Granny


Photo by: Rory M. 

Meet Granny. I did, last April, because my friend, Katie invited some friends and I to visit her grandmother for the weekend. To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to spending time with anyone's grandmother. Katie insisted that I would love her Granny and promised that the weekend would be weirdness-free. So I conceded, and boy am I glad I did. 

I could write on and on to describe what kind of amazing person Granny is and the awesome life stories she has, but I'd like to focus on one element of our trip, an element that is underrated today: Hospitality. 


It became clear, upon walking into Granny's house, that an old lady lived there. Accents from the last seven decades sat on the mantle, while old photos of friends and family stared from the coffee table across the room. The carpet was so high and fluffy, you could fall asleep on it (and we did). What made visiting Granny different from visiting other strangers was her gift (yes, it's a gift) of hospitality. 

She knew how to make a house a home for the weekend, from the individually wrapped cookies on the pillows in the guest bedroom, to the mylar balloon that read "Welcome!" with L-A-D-I-E-S letter-stickers underneath. 

My favorite parts of the weekend were those moments just sitting with Granny, sipping tea or diner-style milkshakes. She seemed just as relaxed with us as we did with her, answering all of our questions about her favorite movies, and dating in the 1950s. It was peace. There was no pressure or expectations on Granny or her guests. 


The day we left was a sad one. She asked (That's a lie. She coaxed.) us to stay for another day, and when we reminded her about finals, she gave a childish sigh and reminded us that her home is ours, as her honorary granddaughters. We began planning our next trip on the way home. 


She created the perfect atmosphere for a weekend away: She was the hostess to give Martha Stewart a run for her money because she understood that it isn't the quality of the food or the comfort of the ambiance that truly makes the experience, it's the people you share it with.


Flash forward.


Last weekend, I hosted a brunch for Alysha and some of our friends. I was so excited to host. Over this past year, I've developed a love of cooking and have learned a lot about preparing a meal. I'd looked forward to hosting a gathering to show off my skills all last semester, and this was the perfect opportunity. However, as I prepared my recipe list, something changed. It slowly became less about the girls I hadn't seen in months and hearing about their spring semesters, and more about how I would impress them with my Martha skills. 


Saturday morning, my sister and I had a great time prepping for the girls, and breakfast was a hit. But I can't help but think that if my attitude was more Granny-like and focused more on the women at my table, rather than the food on top of it, our time might have been more meaningful. 


Don't get me wrong- there's nothing wrong with a great meal, and it's always nice to go the extra mile when people come over, but my heart was in it for the praise of my friends. I will continue to cook when people come over, but I'm going to do it Granny's way- for the love of friends. And that's something that will keep 'em coming back for more! 


Cheers,
Rory 

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post (=

    That and I love the new blog header!

    ReplyDelete