Your Nav Bar Here

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Saving Face

Photo by: Rory M.

When I was a junior in high school, I participated in my school's production of the 50s-era musical, "Bye-Bye Birdie". I was discussing hair and makeup tips backstage when one of the cast members interjected, "I don't wear makeup. If you're not comfortable in the skin you're in, whose skin will you be comfortable in?" 

I respected her opinion, but the comment seemed judgmental. Apart from sounding like a Seussical catch-phrase, it also made no sense to me. It seemed far-fetched that applying stage makeup labeled me as insecure in my appearance. 


Although I disagree, I understand where this girl (and people I've encountered who feel similarly) are coming from. This is the reason that I've come up with:
A. People have faces. 
B. Makeup covers people's faces and can change their appearance. 
C. People who use makeup do not like their face, and want to change their appearance. 

I'm sure this reason applies to some people. In fact, I believe I've met some of these people. But I've also met people who do like their face, and choose to wear makeup. I also know people who don't like their face, and choose to not wear makeup. Therefore, this reasoning is not universal, and may only apply to a certain percentage. 

In fact, there are many reasons an individual may choose to paint their face. I once had a roommate who thought the amount of makeup I wore was morally wrong. To her, I was hiding my true appearance from the world, and lying about what I looked like. Months later, we met up and I complimented her on her well-applied red lip and eye liner. As it turns out, she was not hiding her face and lying about it, she just thought it was fun to experiment in a wearable art form. 

My sister describes it like this: Makeup is the paint. My face is the canvas. 

The truth is that a negative self-image is not fixed with the right tip, trick, or makeover. Also, telling someone that their beauty routine reveals their insecurity won't make them any more secure. If you truly want to help someone feel better about themselves, get to know the person behind the cosmetics. Meet the artist within. 


Rory 


"The makeup is simply an extension of the personality and colors, clothing, makeup all express something."(Gene Simmons)

1 comment: