Your Nav Bar Here

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

High Resolution

Photo by: Rory M. 
Today's topic is a difficult one for me, but I feel it is too important to ignore. So, here goes!

According to Facebook, the most popular 2013 New Year's Resolution is to lose weight. Although I'm not surprised by the statistic, it was initially saddening. Don't get me wrong - I think it's great when people take care of their bodies, and feel good doing it.

I've lived much of my life feeling insecure about my own body. In high school, I tried dieting, different exercise regimes, some healthy and some not. I read books and watched programs, and it quickly became an obsession. Despite all the time and energy I put into feeling great about my body, I never felt truly comfortable.

The reason for this is that I was putting effort into changing my body with the belief that when it was what I wanted, I would accept it. In college, I realized that my body would change and fluctuate my entire life, and the secret to feeling great wasn't to look great.

Feeling great came when I stopped comparing myself to other people. It happened when every negative thought was followed by ten positive ones, until the negative thoughts stopped altogether. A positive self-image came as a result of understanding that my body is unique, and rather than trying to look like other people, I should celebrate what I have, and take care of it.

If you resolved to improve your body this year, you have the full support of EOB! However, I challenge you to take your resolution one step further, and work on building a more positive self-image. Every morning, list five things you like about who you are. Surround yourself with positive people. And never, ever, entertain the idea that you are not beautiful.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so focus those eyes to see the real, beautiful you!

Happy New Year,

Rory

"A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." -Roald Dahl, The Twits

No comments:

Post a Comment