Your Nav Bar Here

Friday, July 6, 2012

The Definition of Whimsy

Photo by: Rory M.

"I asked him what he meant by whimsy, and he struggled to define it. He said it's that nagging idea that life could be magical; it could be special if we were only willing to take a few risks." (Donald Miller, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years)

This summer, I've been challenging myself to take some risks, mostly social. These have included reaching out to people I don't know very well, forgiving past hurts, rekindling relationships, talking to strangers, and befriending a very sweet homeless woman named Jessie. These risks may not always end well, but so far, I haven't regretted taking them. 

A couple weeks ago, I made a pact with a girl that I work with that we would be sure to do something over the weekend that we hadn't done in a while. (I went mini-golfing.) It's that sort of thing that wakes me up inside; it makes life just a little more magical.

This weekend, I challenge you to take some risks. Try something new. Be whimsical.


And then tell me about it.
Rory

"When we look back on our lives, what we will remember are the crazy things we did, the times we worked harder to make a day stand out." (Donald Miller, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years)

No comments:

Post a Comment