Your Nav Bar Here

Thursday, June 7, 2012

We're Still Alive!

Photo by: Roark T. 


Stop putting up missing person flyers and sticking our picture on the back of milk cartons: Rory and I are still alive......but busy. To demonstrate how busy we've been here's a short list of what's been going on:


#1. Graduated high school! 
#2. Turned 18.
#3. Did all those silly senior events that I will remember in nostalgia for years to come.
#4. Got my passport and have 5 weeks till I leave for Africa. (Did I mention that I still can't speak the language?)
#5. Started a new job (yup, two jobs in the summer...I'm just an over-achiever.)
#6. Started planning my big move out to Arizona in the fall.
#7. Wiped out nearly half of my bank account.


Now out of all the life changing events that have been going on, you would think that a.) going to a foreign country or b.) moving halfway across the country would be the most terrifying but it turns out #7. was enough to give me a panic attack.


Why did I wipe out nearly half of my bank account? Because that's how much is costs to go to Africa (and a pit-stop in Madrid on the way home). Last week, the money was due. I'm standing in line at the bank, shell shocked. I couldn't get over the number of zeros and comas that were on the withdrawal slip and as hysteria started to rise, I was struck by this thought: I can't take it with me.


I know very Buddha of me, but honestly, in 20 years, what will I remember: the fact that in 2012 I had X-amount of money, or I went to Africa and Spain?So I walked up to the counter and withdrew a lot of money and haven't regretted it a day since.


No, I'm not saying withdraw all your money and go hog wild, but life is short. There are never any guarantees that a door might open again, so don't be afraid to jump. I don't know what that door might be or what the sacrifice might be to get there but don't let money, something that you can earn and can be easily taken away, stop you from taking a leap of faith.


Leaps of faith lead to adventure, and adventure to exquisite beauty.


You can't take it with you.
Don't miss the beauty waiting around the corner.
Don't be afraid to leap.
OX Alysha Marie


P.S. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. A trip to Africa sounds exciting! I hope you have a great time!
    -Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Mel! I plan on it and don't worry, there will probably be tons of pictures going your way come the end of July lol

    ReplyDelete