Your Nav Bar Here

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bangspiration

Photo by: Rory M.

Recently, I made the decision to get my bangs cut.  Alert the media. Big deal, right? A friend of mine just cut her own hair in a bob. The point of this isn't to share a sensationalistic tale, because, apparently, stranger things have happened (No offense, Sam.). However, at the time, it felt like a much bigger deal than it really was. 

Like most people who are considering a change to their style, I asked the opinions of others. A lot. I had been asking and getting people's opinions on the matter since last semester. Even when I decided that I wanted bangs (and I wanted them now!), I still continued asking. I even considered posting a poll to see how the blogosphere felt about this, when I came to this realization: I want bangs, so who cares if anyone else likes it? 

Forget the fact that most people can't and will not be bothered by the subtle changes in my appearance, I was so focused on the opinions of others that I became disillusioned, and ignored these two facts:

1. No one is nearly as invested in my hair as I am.
2. I want bangs. 

Although it's beneficial to heed the advice of others, you can never please everyone. When it comes to personal beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder, and you're the beholder that counts. 

Rory

PS: I love my bangs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment