Your Nav Bar Here

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Five-piece Braid


Photo by: Rory M. 
Photo by: Mike B. 
Today's tutorial isn't an easy one. The five-piece braid is complicated, not because of the process, but because of the nature of the braid. No matter how dexterous your hands may be, most of us have only two at the most, and juggling five strands takes a lot of concentration and coordination. 

I began the braid by taking a small chunk of hair from the heavier side of a side-part. Next, I separated the hair into five even pieces.

Photo by: Mike B.
The five-piece braid is essentially made up of weaving the five pieces in-and-out of each other. I begin with the right piece and pull it over the piece directly to its left. 

Next, I pull it under the next one to the left. Then, I go over the next piece. 

Instead of going under the following piece (on the far right), I took the strand on the far right and pulled it over the new strand now directly to it's right.
Photo by: Mike B. 

I know that's a lot of overs and unders. The way that I remember it is this: 

  • Begin on on end.
  • Over
  • Under
  • Over
  • Repeat from other end. 

One of our readers sent us a great website that shows very clearly how to make four, five, six, even seven-piece braids! I like this site because it shows how to make the braids in a very clear way.
Photo by: Mike B. 
Photo by: Mike B. 
E-mail us your hair challenges at: anewbeautyblog.gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment