Your Nav Bar Here

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Unmask

Photo by: Rory M.
With Halloween (or "Halloweek", as they say it at my school) upon us, there are so many opportunities for costume and style-related posts. However, I'm taking time to write about something that's bothered me every Halloween for much of my adolescent/adult life.

Each year, I get very excited to put together the best, most creative, most cost-effective costume out there. (I secretly try to beat out everyone in the entire world for "Best Costume".) But each year, there's something that haunts (pun intended) my costume-related thoughts, and that is sex appeal.

It's pretty impossible nowadays to shop for a Halloween costume without seeing advertisements for "Sexy This" or "Sexy That", "Sexy Potato", "Sexy Carrot", etc. As for me, I take Halloween as an opportunity to express myself creatively, and it often isn't very sexy. The truth is, that just isn't me.

I spoke with a couple of friends on the matter, and they agreed. There is a social pressure to look "hot" or "sexy" on Halloween. The other night, I attended an event hosted by my school, and dressed up as a particular 1930s television star. It wasn't very sexy, and I felt unattractive, as if no one would appreciate (or even notice!) my costume because it still left much to the imagination.

Talking to my friends helped me realize that being myself was the sexy part. We agreed that the amount of skin you show doesn't make a difference if you look uncomfortable in it. This Halloween, we're challenging all you ladies out there not to dress the way you think you're expected to, but rather the way that makes you feel your best, whether that is a 1930s television star or a sexy potato.

This year, be the best version of you.

Rory

No comments:

Post a Comment