Your Nav Bar Here

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Full Circle

Photo By: Alysha Marie

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you imagined. 
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler."
- Henry David Thoreau

Ever since eleventh grade English, when I first read this quote, I knew I had to write it down. Thoreau nailed down the things I wanted in life: confidence, dreams coming true, and simple living.

It was the first line that always drew me in: "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams." Confidence. Isn't that the word that the magazines use to describe how you need to act when you're at a job interview, with your crush or making a major life decision? As a young adult, these are the situations I find myself in almost daily and I will admit that confidence is not a word I would use to describe most of these encounters. 

You see, I always thought confidence was a natural thing you were born with: you either had it or you didn't. I always thought I didn't have it.

I always had confused confidence with perfection. Confidence is a fearlessness to go after what you want in life. If that means looking for a new job because you hate your current one, then interview. If it means talking to the cutie from down the hall, then go talk to him. If you want to travel to Africa and need to wipe out a vast sum of cash from your savings, then do it. 

The journey to get to what you want in life isn't a road. Thoreau wrote "in the direction" and last time I checked, direction means north, south, east or west. There are no street signs in direction. It means putting your compass down, focusing on your end destination and doing whatever it takes to make it there, even climbing mountains if need be.

I thought getting to Africa was a road: You sign up to be on a team. You write support letters. People love to hear the good work you will do, and they will donate resources. You will know everyone on the team well and be well-prepared. Your parents will be proud of you and support you 100%. You will serve people by doing work and good deeds, and come home with the pictures to prove it.

And of course, none of this happened. I had to beg to be on a team. I only had a few people respond to support letter (for which I am very grateful!) but not enough to pay for a $3,000 trip. I got a second job. I wasn't able to attend all the trip meetings, so I didn't really know the team and I wasn't well prepared. My parents were freaking out over their eldest baby going to a different country. 

But I went to Africa. I lived the life that I've wanted to live. I learned a lot and life became simpler. 

Hopefully, as I share about how my dream came true, you will be inspired to walk confidently in the direction of yours.

Inspiration; it's a beautiful thing, isn't it?
OX Alysha Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment