Your Nav Bar Here

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Hair Story: Sarah & the Pixie Invasion

Photo by: Rory M.
Today, we are pleased to welcome a guest blogger to Eye of the Beholder! Sarah is a nursing student in the Boston area who recently started a new chapter of her hair history, or as we like to call it, "hair story". Sarah joined the force of what I (Rory) like to call the "Pixie Invasion". It's true, pixie cuts are in! What I like about the pixie cut is that it is for any age group. Grandmas, moms, teens, little girls, we've seen 'em all. Each age group brings something special to the 'do, and the look brings out the best in any age. However, any drastic change to one's hair can be a little daunting, and let's face it, emotional. Sarah talks a little about her choice, and how the new look has impacted her style.
~
I’m always up for trying new things, and getting a pixie cut has been on my bucket list for some time. While I had typically been fond of longer hair, seeing other people my age with pixies gave me the motivation to get one. It had always been in the back of my mind, and when the thought would pop up I’d tell myself that there would be a better time for short hair later on in life, but seeing other people taking the leap and chopping it all off made me think “what am I waiting for?”. So, although it’s been in the back of my mind for a few years now, the actual decision making process took place over about twenty-four hours. Semi-spur-of-the-moment.


Sitting in the chair, it didn’t really hit me that I was getting my hair cut off. I could see it happening, but I didn’t have any sort of internal crisis, as if it were an integral part of my identity. My opinion was that, hey, hair grows back. So, as I sat there wondering what all of my family and friends would think (I was surprising almost everyone I knew), she trimmed every lock of my hair down to about an inch.


Usually when I would get “drastic” haircuts (long to shoulder length, etc.) I’d love it that night, hate it the next day, then get used to it over the next few weeks. This time, however, I felt no regrets, no dislike for my haircut. I feel like I’ve owned it from the start. It’s been about eight weeks now, and not once have I regretted getting a pixie. Although at the beginning I was insecure about the big change, I feel like it’s given me so much self-confidence. 

I’ve been wearing a lot of dresses and skirts since cutting my hair; I’ve felt it necessary to “girly” things up a bit. I’ve also been trying new make-up techniques, accentuating my facial features because they’re pretty center-stage right now. I’ve been wearing different earrings. Pre-pixie I’d wear the same pair for days; my hair usually covered my ears anyway. Now I’m more likely to rock dangling earrings and larger earrings rather than my usual small, gemstone studs.

I believe that the pixie-cut fits me well, but I don’t know if I’d say better. I definitely think that I have the right face and head shape for it, and am very pleased with how it looks, but I still really like my longer hair. It takes a lot less work, which is a definite plus; typical styling – from blow-drying to the finished product – takes about ten minutes tops. Although the styling is so quick, there is a downside: because my hair is naturally very wavy, cow-licky and frizzy, any humidity whatsoever (like 75% of the days this summer) my hair gets really full and the moisture negates any attempt that I had made to smooth out my unruly hair. I do miss the option of putting my hair up into a bun on this type of day. In the end, I’m really glad that I got a pixie cut, and though I probably won’t have it for the rest of my life, I’m going to work it while I do.


Sarah 
~

Do you have a hair story to share? Send it to anewbeautyblog@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment